Whats Up

food for thought (14) recipe (13) DIY (9) garden (7) health (7) flea control (1) forage (1) recycle (1)

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hello Kitty

In Japan in 1976 a business tycoon asked a man to create a character that could be marketed around the world on anything. So the man created Hello Kitty. Hello Kitty wasn't anything, she didn't have her family or friends, she was simply created as one simple figure to create another man incredibly rich. Thus leaving Hello Kitty a symbol of blind consumerism.
There's a hello kitty everything. Have you seen the Hello Kitty "personal massager"? Or the AK-47? It exists.
I used to be a loyal Hello Kitty fan. I had a HK alarm clock, CD player, stapler, underwear, PJs, back pack, toaster, waffle maker, the list can go on. Alas, I shed myself of hello kitty when I grew up and didn't really like having creepy little cat faces staring at me from around the room. I still have a hair dryer, alarm clock and I am wearing the PJ shorts now (which made me ponder...) but that is simply because if I got rid of these things I would have to go out and get a replacements. .... And that's against the whole point now isn't it. So I keep a few Hello Kitties to remind myself not to buy in to someone else's design. I can paint little cats on shit myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment